INDOOR AIR QUALITY
Proper ventilation, air cleaning and humidity control can make a big difference in your comfort and health. Argent Heating and Cooling offers a wide variety of indoor air quality products designed to make your home more comfortable. We can serve your indoor air quality needs.
…from humidifiers, to air cleaners, to the proper type of HVAC filter, to duct cleaning, sealing and repair…
Ask us how to improve your home’s indoor air quality, call (703) 281-6300 or toll free at (877) 282-6300 today to schedule a free, no-obligation Indoor Air Quality Evaluation.
Did You Know?
90% of the average American’s day is spent indoors and more than 40% in your home?
With the introduction of air conditioning, maintaining proper indoor air quality ranks as the single biggest challenge for homes: 96.7% of American homes have at least one indoor air quality issue.
Nearly 60% of all Americans are allergic to at least one of the 10 most common allergens, including dust mites, cats, ragweed and some forms of fungus and mold. These can all be found in the home*.
Children are particularly susceptible to the affects of poor indoor air quality. Asthma cases are fastest growing among children under 5 years old and asthma affects 10-12% of all children ages 5 to 17. It is triggered or made worse by dust, allergens, particulate pollution and second-hand smoke, all of which can be found in the home.
(*Arbes, S. Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology, August 2005; vol 116; pp 377-383.)
How can you know if your home is affected by poor indoor air quality? Look for these signs*:
- Unusual and noticeable odors, stale or stuffy air
- Noticeable lack of air movement
- Dirty or faulty central heating or air conditioning equipment
- Damaged flue pipes or chimneys
- Un-vented combustion air sources for fossil fuel appliances
- Excessive humidity
- Tightly constructed or remodeled home
- Presence of molds and mildew
- Health reaction after remodeling, weatherizing, using new furniture, use of household or hobby products, or moving into a new home
- Feeling noticeably healthier outside the home
If any of these conditions exist, then your home air quality is in need of improvement!
What can be done to solve the indoor air quality problem in your home that fits into your lifestyle and is a cost-effective, ongoing solution to the problem?
Critical Steps: Ventilation, Humidity and Temperature Control
- Keep the home between 68 and 72 degrees
- Maintain humidity between 30 and 50%
- Ventilate properly
In our region, central cooling often causes us to rely on the heating and cooling system to re-circulate the air in the home. Fresh air is no longer introduced through windows. Moisture, contamination and thermal control problems result. Improvements in the HVAC system address all three problems:
- Have the HVAC system inspected and cleaned to ensure proper function
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Consider installing a humidification and dehumidification system
- Measure ventilation and install a ventilation upgrade into the existing HVAC system
The Next Step: Filtration and Decontamination
The effectiveness of these three measures can be further enhanced with the use of whole-house filtration and decontamination. Data from the American Thoracic Society suggests that the use of high-efficiency filters, including HEPA filters, remove upwards of 60-90% of the small particles from the air. The removal of these lung irritants was associated with improved cardio-vascular function, a particular concern among the elderly. Finally, research has shown conclusively that control of microscopic organisms (mold, bacteria) within the HVAC system is the most effective way to maintain the system’s efficiency and cleanliness while reducing biological contamination of the air you breathe.
- Install a filtration system that extracts these particles.
- Consider installing AtmosAir Purification System, an all-natural airborne ionization system that removes spores, ultra-fine particles, other contaminants and the associated odor from the air.
- Install an Ultra Violet light on you indoor coil, providing focused treatment against mold and bacteria build-up.
We at Argent Heating and Cooling believe that your indoor comfort solutions should include clean air purification, filtration and abatement solutions that improve the quality of your indoor air, because our customers deserve to breathe cleaner, healthier air. Please call us today so that we can assist you with your Indoor Air Quality needs.